Celebrating wonder, joy, grace, and hope

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Little Robe


If you were young in the 1970s you may have had something similar to this little robe my grandmother made for me for Christmas one year. My sisters had similar ones. Somewhere in our mother's old photographs there's a picture of us all wearing our new robes posing for a picture on the sofa. It's a good memory. I treasure the simple fact that I can hold a piece of family history in my hands. It's one of only a few things I have of hers and I treasure it because it seems to somehow keep her memory alive for me. Several times I've thought, "What on earth am I going to do with this old robe? Maybe I should use if for rags or donate it to a thrift shop." But that kind of action never seems to prevail for one who is nostalgic for special things that remain from the past. I suspect I'll have this little robe forever and with it I'll forever cherish the memory of my grandmother lovingly creating a piece of our family's legacy with her hands.

3 comments:

  1. I used to wear this same robe when I was little! Sometime we will have to find that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that picture...I still have my robe too. I like the changes to your blog. Loved the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we will have to find the picture!

    ReplyDelete