Celebrating wonder, joy, grace, and hope

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lifetime Projects


In this fast-paced, computerized, digitized, electronic high-tech world we live in, I seek comfort in occasionally making things.  Occasionally.  I'm not very skilled at making handmade treasures but there's something incredibly satisfying about gathering raw materials and turning them into something of beauty or purpose - especially if you sit in front of a computer all day at work.  I can't say I'm prolific at making many things, I guess I work in spurts.  I started knitting a scarf in January and there's plenty left to do on it.  I guess it's just as comforting to have the "works in progress" around as it is to have the actual finished products.  Maybe.  But it would be nice to finish something once in a while.  Recently I was describing to my sister a quilt project I've been working on for nearly 10 years.  My sister, an incredibly talented crafter, mentioned that most people have a lifetime project they work on for many years.  I think she was trying to make me feel better and she did but I think I have several lifetime projects that I'll probably never finish.  Maybe I should get busy on my scarf before arthritis overtakes my fingers and hands and my vision correction is no longer adequate to see the knit and purl stitches.  Here's to lifetime projects and the tenacity to see them through.

4 comments:

  1. You better get busy!!! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color of the scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's right! We had a special challenge in our quilt class to "finish a project" we had been working on for awhile and a few women brought in quilts they had been working on for years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice post!!looks like it will be a pretty scarf...new follower! love your header(:

    ReplyDelete